Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Funny People

Funny People

“You’re not funny. You’re funny looking, but you’re not funny.”




Yeeeeahhhh, the quote I chose kinda sums up the entire movie for me.



I don’t know. I’m thinkin’ if a movie has the word funny in the title…it probably should be. And, while there were most definitely some funny parts—especially if you like jokes about a certain male appendage—it really was less a comedy than it was a drama about comedians. A dramedy.



With only one week left before the start of school (and work for me), I was really trying to pack as much fun stuff as I could into it, so when my friend, Deniece, called to ask if I wanted to go to a movie, I was immediately on board. Unfortunately, our plans are never immediate. It took about 20 minutes to figure out what day would work for both of us. The conversation going something like this:



Me: Well, I’m getting my hair done Monday. I have to take Jonni to the orthodontist on Thursday and Jeremy to the orthodontist on Friday.



Deniece: Well, I can’t do Monday or Wednesday.



Me: So…Tuesday.



Deniece: Tuesday.



I’m grateful she thinks I’m as much worth the effort it takes to find time to hang out with me as I think she is. It would take 3 more phone calls, two e-mails and a face-to-face for us to figure out what movie we’d be seeing…with 2 more confirmation e-mails and/or phone calls to seal the deal. We finally—with some reservation—decided on Funny People.



Neither of us were sure what to expect. With a cast full of funny people (Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Jason Schwartzman, Leslie Mann), we thought it would be really funny…or really stupid. Neither of us was expecting what it was.



Adam Sandler is George Simmons; a famous comedian diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia. George befriends Seth Rogen’s character, Ira Wright; a struggling amateur comedian. They become friends when George hires offers him a job as his writer and assistant. When he excitedly agrees to take the job, he has no idea how subjective the job description will become.



George, realizing his mortality, faces his demons, confronts his regrets and reconsiders the choices he has made. Laura (Mann) is at the top of the list regarding all three. They meet in effort to make amends and resolve their relationship and it becomes the train wreck any rational person would expect it to be. I knew how it would end before it even began…and it wasn’t funny. Someone told me that the funniest comedians in public are usually the most depressed people in private. I don’t know how true that is, but this movie might support that theory. It was just sad. Realistic. But, sad.



I’ve always been an Adam Sandler fan. Such a fan, that even when I don’t like him in a movie, I always want to see the next one. I just hope his next role is a funny one. I just don’t care for a serious Adam Sandler, no matter how well he plays the part. There’s just something unnatural or unbelievable about it.



While I’m stating my preferences…Seth Rogen, please eat a sandwich. You cannot be my chunky crush without the chunk. I fear I’m going to have to replace you with someone less fit but equally as funny if you don’t get off the Atkins’ or whatever it is you’re doing to become half the man you used to be. However, please share your diet tips as I’m not as crazy about my own chunk.



I think if I’d known to expect a drama…and I’d wanted to see a drama…I would’ve appreciated and enjoyed the movie more than I did. Unfortunately, I was in the mood to laugh. I was in the mood for a comedy. And, there’s just nothing funny about cancer, lonely people, failure and infidelity. I know.



So, as humorous as some of the scenes were, if you’re looking for a laugh out loud, hysterical movie, this is not one I’d recommend. If you’re looking for a behind the scenes drama about funny people, this is one I would recommend. There’s a lot to be said for expectations being met.



Bottom line: Funny People is not so funny, people.




4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad to find someone who loves movies as much as me and my hubby do! I found you from Twittermoms.

    I have to say though I still look forward to seeing Funny People. Seeing the previews over and over made me realize its more ABOUT "funny" than it is slapstick funny. We are crazy about all those actors and go see/buy every Judd Apatow movie.

    I really hope we end up liking it. This is actually the first I've heard of someone seeing it and not loving it. But it definitely looks different then Judd's past movies, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know what you think when you see it, Jacqueline! I always look forward to hearing other peoples' opinions even if they don't agree with my own. I truly think I would've enjoyed it more had I known what to expect (it'll be worth another view when it comes out on DVD to see if my perception changes...as it's known to do) going into it. I thought it'd be slapstick funny and just couldn't transition away from my expectations to enjoy it. I do agree...amazing cast...even more so when you count all the cameos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I totally understand how expectations can ruin a movie. I got that from Spanglish the first time I saw it. But now, after watching it on DVD 100 times, I like it so much more, for what it is.

    This happened recently for my husband and I with Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. We kept saying "That's not a long book...how much could they leave out or change?" Well, we hated it! We'll buy it when it comes out. I mean, you have to have the whole set :) but it really left a bad first impression!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, I LOVED Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince...probably because I've never read the book.

    Hmmm....maybe I should give Spanglish another try! ;-)

    ReplyDelete